The remit of the All Wales Therapeutics & Toxicology Centre (AWTTC) is to provide a portfolio of prescribing and medicines management services to NHS Wales. In particular to:
- support the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG) in providing strategic advice to the Minister for Health and Social Services
- develop timely, independent and authoritative advice on new medicines
- implement, through a programme of education and communication, prescribing and therapeutics improvements for all prescribers in Wales
- provide training and education targeted at medicines safety and adverse drug reactions
- Co-ordinate the new One Wales Interim Commissioning Process and provide evidence status reports on medicines that go through this process.
The AWTTC will comprise of two sections - Therapeutics and Toxicology. The National Poisons Information Service, a service commissioned by the Health Protection Agency, represents the Toxicology section. The Therapeutics section, funded by Welsh Government, will include the integrated services previously known as the Welsh Medicines Partnership (WMP), the Welsh Medicines Resource Centre (WeMeReC) and the Welsh Analytical Prescribing Support Unit (WAPSU).
The All Wales Therapeutics Centre (AWTTC), established in 2012 and based within Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, delivers regional services in the fields of therapeutics and toxicology, by bringing together under one banner, different NHS organisations that have provided continuing support and advice relating to the safe, clinically and cost-effective use of medicines in Wales. These organisations are:
Therapeutics and Toxicology Clinical ServicesFive clinical pharmacologists within AWTTC provide specialist clinical services via the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board’s Medicines Directorate, including Adverse Drug Reactions outpatient clinical services (e.g. drug allergy/hypersensitivity testing) and Hypertension outpatient clinical Services.
Links with Cardiff University School of Medicine
AWTTC has close links with Cardiff University’s Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology. This Department is part of the Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine within Cardiff School of Medicine. Four members of the Management Board are employees of Cardiff University, and several of the other AWTTC staff have honorary appointments in the School of Medicine, contributing to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching activities and research and development.